It's on the front cover of the book. It shows a green apple but it's inside is of the citrus fruit variety. He he. Wala lang. I haven't noticed it before. Really freakish..
I'm not going to talk about the book, 'kay, what I'm going to talk about is the freakonomist's study about online dating. That's right, it's one of the studies that have been discussed in the book. The focus is not online dating itself, but the extent to which a person divulges info about him/herself to the public and whether a specific info improves his/her prospects of finding a partner. So on online dating, the usual gist is this: you put up a personal ad of yourself, your vital statistics, your photo, your income range, level of education, likes and dislikes and so on. If the ad catches someone's attention, that someone will email you and perhaps arrange a date.
What came out of the study are quite interesting. Yeah, the author said that people who put up ads of themselves are NOT always telling the truth. Actually most of the time, they're making up stuff about themselves. Like, for instance, most of the men say that their looks are above average, taller than average, earn way above the average income, and most of the women have above average looks and their weight lower than the normal weight. Maybe it was just a coincidence that most of them are almost perfect. Maybe, just maybe, right?
But whether they are lying about themselves or not, is neither here nor there. The thing is, without realizing it, they have just put up their preferences, without being too obvious, simply by putting up their personal ads online.
You may not agree to some of the results but surveys have been conducted and you know, as well as I do, that numbers don't lie, or at least, less baldly than people do. Below are the most interesting results and you can find my reaction after each item.. ((:
1. Men who say they want a long term relationship do much better than men looking for an occasional lover. --> Because most women are for real. They prefer permanence. And men? They're just looking for the ride!
2. Women looking for an occasional lover do great. --> Primarily, it's the sex that men are after. Because men are so hamsap. Ha ha. Also, they value quantity. The more, the better.
3. For men, a woman's looks are of paramount importance. --> Therefore, beautiful women, can afford to be penniless. If you aren't endowed with good looks, there's plastic surgery. And Vicky Belo.
4. For women, a man's income is terribly important. --> Lazy, penniless boyfriends are a no-no. If you are a poor guy, and a lazy one, at that, you're likely to die a poor, lazy, lonely, old man. Ha ha. (x
5. A woman's income appeal is a bell-shaped curve. Men do not want to date low earning women, but once a woman starts earning too much, they seem to be scared off. --> Because men wrongfully think that they should be earning more. Because successful women make them feel insecure and it does make them feel less of a man.
6. For men, being short is a big disadvantage, but weight doesn't much matter. --> That's why my boyfriend is 5" 8'. And my ex'es are at least 5"7'. (;
7. For women, being overweight is deadly. --> That's why I am anorexic! (x
P.S. Hey I hope this post dint illicit violent reactions from ya. Those were my honest reactions, k, I wasn't thinking and I dint bother reviewing it. You know, too lazy..(x