.....

the difference between great love and the right love..

Saturday, May 21, 2011 § 16

 
Chuck: You really love him, don't you?
Blair: Yes. But not like I love you. Louis and I, it's different. It's lighter, more simple. He makes me happy.
Chuck: And I don't?
Blair: What we have is a great love. It's complicated. Intense. All-consuming. No matter what we do and how much we fight, it'll always pull us in. What's mere happiness in the face of all that, right?

Chuck: There's a difference between a great love and the right love. I left the Empire State Building last year after two minutes when you didn't show. Louis waited all night. This is your chance at happiness. You think you shouldn't want it 'cause you've never had it and it scares you. But you deserve your fairytale.
Blair: We make our own fairy tales.
Chuck: Only when we have to.
 -Gossip Girl Season 4 Episode 22 The Wrong Goodbye

....
 
I couldn't sleep fitfully  right after I saw the season finale of Gossip Girl. The part I can't get off my mind is where the girl had to choose between the right love, and the great love of her life..

Puzzeled Smiley (With Question Marks)

Who is more deserving of a girl's attention, the one who can give you the right love? Or the one who can give you the great love? WHO??


What exactly is so tempting, so inviting about the 'great love', it sounds so wrong when Blair herself had defined it as complicated, intense and all-consuming?? WHAT?? Does she really want that??


How will the girl know whether she had chosen the right one? HOW??


When will the girl realize that people take risks all the time and choosing either the right love or the great love will present complications more than she could ever imagine? WHEN??


Why didn't they use 'wrong love' instead of 'great love'? WHY??

 


....
And since Blair has admitted into feeling the right love with Louis, and the great love with Chuck, does that mean that a girl can actually love two guys, or more, at the same time, the intensity varying??


....

Gahd.. I know I've been watching too much Gossip Girl but I can be really pretty emotional about stuff.. (Especially when I'm in love! haha)


 ....

My bf told me to stop watching the show so I wouldn't have to ask him about crazy nonsense.. Hah! Gossip Girl has so much to offer in this world. The protagonists may be socialites, elitists, live in the Upper East Side but they pretty much suffer the same dilemmas outsiders have to endure.. Except $$$ of course.. they all have more than enough loot they don't know where or what to spend for.. Smiley with dollar eyes


....
Back to reality.. My mind is so full of questions, the answers I couldn't find in the deep recesses of my mind..

Urkh... Confused Smiley asking: “WTF?”


But I have arrived in a resolve: right love is simple and boring.. It's for the light-hearted, the ones who would probably prefer dullness and monotony over adventure.. The ones who would easily give up the fight, raise his/her hands in defeat, and easily accept his/her fate.. People who choose the right love over the great love are scared because they know they're in love with their great loves like they've never been in love with anyone else, scared because someone like their great love can actually break their heart..

Great love.. It could be a cycle of love-lust-revenge. It's complicated and pretty messy. Too many dilemmas, sleepless nights, constant worrying, the question "Are you gonna break up with me?' tossed back and forth the courts.. It's for a heart that could endure so much pain but still doesn't cease its beating.. People who choose the great love over the right love aren't afraid of enduring all these, aren't afraid of taking the risk of getting their heart broken.. Cus they know in the end, it will all be worth it.. The feeling would be so great.. What could still possibly go wrong when the worse has already been done with?


....

Great love is tempting.. Though I hope I wouldn't have to choose between right love and great love someday.. I prefer 'love', minus the adjectives. Let's cross our fingers to that..



P.S. i know some people would disagree, that some people have entirely different definitions of different kinds of love. that's why i have to make it clear that the definitions of 'great love' and 'real love' appearing in this post, and even the resolve i have reached, are based on the gossip girl tv series.
free smiley emoticon

What's this?

You are currently reading the difference between great love and the right love.. at solipsistic drivelings..

meta

§ 16 Response to “the difference between great love and the right love..”

  • ka bute says:

    so which one do you prefer? great love o right love? ^_^

  • kae says:

    i prefer great love.. hehe.. mas fun ee.. and i think yun yung real love.. ewan.. hehe. kaw ba??

  • MG says:

    uhmmm i think we may have a contrary of opinion here. hehe. let me dis agree to what you said, If you woudnt mind. right love is not boring and will never be, people who tends to say that "maybe" the person is engage right now to what you called great love. hahaha. just my opinion. ^_^

  • kae says:

    @MG: hmm.. yess i accept that some people would think that way. pero thats what i think kcii.. parang ang boring hehe.. at least im referring to the real love Blair has with Louis.. if you're watching gossip girl (i doubt that hehehe.. its a 'chicky' tv series).. you'll see what i mean.. (;

    her great love with Chuck is simply astounding, it made me wanna be blair waldorf and my bf, chuck bass.. kci no matter what happened to them , no matter how many times they lusted after each other, no matter how many times they inflicted hurt to each other, in the end they realize, still know deep inside that they're right for each other..

    thanks for expressing your opinion, that is a very good insight. i was entirely deeply focused sa concept ng gossip girl, which is a work of fiction. i forgot it may be different from the real world.. (;

  • Unknown says:

    I also watched the season finale last night. But i was able to sleep alright. lol. I also love those lines you quoted. I replayed it. I want Blair for Chuck. I feel bad that they didn't end up together.

    I don't understand that right love or great love probably because I am only capable of loving one person. When I fell in love I know it's both great and right. Does that make any sense?

    Anyway, I so love gossip girl and it was a great season finale.

  • kae says:

    @mayen: yessss.. god, i so want them together badly.. we both know they're, like, the main protagonists in the story. so i'm, like, this may happen now but in the end, it will be chuck and blair. because it will surely suck if they wouldn't end up together..

    oh wow. that's pretty insightful.. now i know i also want both great and right love.. haha.. but in case i have to choose between the two, id choose to make things complicated with my one great love. loll

    ah, its a great season finale.. cant wait for the 5th season..

    hm, we both love harry potter and gossip girl.. i'yem wondering what else do we have in common? (;

  • Unknown says:

    We will find that out along the way. The things we have in common.

  • kae says:

    @mayen: oh im sure we will.. as long as we don't ditch our blogs prematurely.. i hope that won't have to happen. (;

  • Heather says:

    Oh how I love when American sitcoms offer us all the philosophy we need. :)
    I found great love, but ran out of the strength to nurture it. It's still great, yet still absent. I don't know if I believe in such a thing as 'right' love. I think you always have to work at relationships, no matter how 'right' they feel. Nothing in this life is handed to us on a plate, all things take blood, sweat, and a fair few tears.
    <3

  • Nagkasundo kayo ni Mayen sa mga American shows ah hehe, I'll go for the right love!

  • ka bute says:

    kahit ano. as long as we are happy. ^_^

  • kae says:

    @heather: i also have doubts with the so called 'right love'.. maybe the adjective 'right' isn't the right term.. or maybe it's not even considered love.. mutual understanding maybe, but no, not love.. i can't imagine a life with no dilemmas.. (;

  • kae says:

    @kench: ikr! (; okhey, i hope you find the right one for you.. hehe (;

  • kae says:

    @ka bute: rightt.. happiness.. that's what really matters in the end.. (;

  • Sey says:

    I never watch (never tried) that. Am I that boring? Maybe because emotions sinks in me too deeper.

    But the difference between the so called right and great love....hmmm, I have no idea. Because when I love, that man becomes my right and great love.

  • kae says:

    @sey: mayen thinks so, too! that's the right kind of love for everyone, isn't it? (;